Friday, February 3, 2012

Digital Learning Day

I read this article and I felt like sharing it. Please read it and then share your thoughts.
Innovative Technologies Celebrated on Digital Learning Day

Here's my take on this "Digital Learning Day".

I think it's great that educators, administrators and policy makers see the importance of bringing the digital age into the classroom. Our kids are going to be entering a world where technology changes almost as fast as the seasons. This year's hot phone or tablet will be on EBay next year for half the price. There's no denying that this is the pace at which our country, and the rest of the world for that matter, are moving. But there's a BIG problem with expecting schools to keep up....M O N E Y!

Yeah. I said it. Money.

The root to most education shortfalls is money. You are not going to get people to agree to pay higher taxes so that every kindergartener can have an iPad. You can get most people to agree to the importance of providing students with an education rooted in and provided by technology. It goes right along with the famous N.I.M.B.Y. theory. You know, not in my backyard. Except I think I will call this N.O.M.D. or not on my dime!

Which is why as the article states, "only 40 percent of teachers in the country claimed to use some kind of computer regularly during instructional time". School where I have worked only have 2-3 computers per classroom, 1 computer lab and if you're lucky, a laptop cart to be divided between 50 classrooms.

I'm right there with the rest of you. I don't want to pay higher taxes. Honestly, I don't see the schools doing a whole lot with the money we already send them, so why give them more? Sorry, I know that's harsh. There is so much broken with the American education system. No amount of iPads are going to make kids smarter and more competitive in the world if they can read and write. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment