Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Our 2013-2014 Curriculum


For many, school is about to begin and thus the season of curriculum posts is upon us. But for my family, school has already begun. You may have wondered where I was for the last few weeks and now you know. We started school on July 22 so we are in our 3rd week already! 

Why start school in July?

Well this year, I have decided to shake things up a bit. The first change is that we are doing a different school calendar. We will go to school for 6 weeks and then take a week off. This week off will be used for all or some of the following- field trips, catch-up, my planning, rest and fun. 

The other change is to some of our curriculum, which will be following a somewhat revised Classical Education. Last spring, I read Susan Wise Bauer's The Well Trained Mind. As much as I thought I was NOT a Classical homeschooler, I was shocked to find out that most of my beliefs about education were indeed right in line with Classical Education!

All together:
Reading- books to go along with History and various novel studies

5th Grade:
Math- Math U See Epsilon and Math Mammoth, maybe even some Crewton Ramone videos.
Spelling- Spelling Workout (6)

3rd Grade:
Math- Math U See Gamma and Math Mammoth, maybe even some Crewton Ramone videos.
Writing- Writing With Ease (3) and IEW Student Writing Intensive A
Grammar- First Language Lessons (3) and a wee bit of Growing with Grammar

Kindergarten/1st Grade: 
Math- finishing Math U See Primer and moving into Alpha by Halloween
Handwriting- Logic of English
Phonics- Plaid Phonics A (the last half of the book), Logic of English
Other- Moving Beyond the Page 5-7, and we are moving as fast or slow as she wants. No rush to finish the 9 week units in 9 weeks.

And there you have it! We are busy this year!

If you'd like some help planning out your year, here are some free printables that I find very helpful-










1 comment:

  1. I had to chuckle at your comment about reading The Well Trained Mind and finding yourself far more of a 'classical' homeschooler than you thought! I did the same thing! Love your pics for curriculum - many of ours are the same. How is the 6 weeks on/ 1 week off working out? I'm wondering if that might help my stress level too? Hope you are enjoying a fabulous year!

    Carrie
    homeschoolbelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete